The Richmond Golf Club was founded in February 1891 at a meeting in The Greyhound Hotel in Richmond. The Club leased a course at Old Deer Park before moving to the current location in Petersham.
Being relatively close to Westminster, many of the Club’s original Members were Government ministers. These included three Lord Chancellors (Halsbury, Loreburn and Cave), a Speaker of the House of Commons (William Gully, later Lord Selby) and a Prime Minister (Arthur Balfour).
High office is no longer a requirement for Membership, but the connection is maintained in various competition trophies honouring our illustrious past Members: The Halsbury Cup, The Selby Challenge Cup and The Prince Arthur of Coonnaught Challenge Cup.